httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: 2.0.65 and 2.3.15-dev
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 06:43:37 GMT
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> I think 2.4.0 GA at AC is destined to be a "dot zero" release (most
> emphasis on the zero, as in null).  Not suggesting we don't do it,
> simply that nobody, including yourself, will be at liberty to change
> scoreboard datum, api interfaces, etc.
>
> Are we anywhere near that level of commitment to trunk?  It would be
> rather sad if 2.4.0 was ditched for 2.6.0.  Just look to the recent
> perl releases for examples of such instability.

What are opinions about adding some fields to structs for extensions that
seem like a good idea but have not been written yet. This would then allow
to add them during the lifetime of 2.4.x with only a minor MMN bump.

I could imagine:

- add some fields to the global scoreboard, for benefit of mod_status:
   * timestamp of last time max worker number was reached
   * timestamp of last time all workers were busy
   * timestamp of last time a child crashed
   * number of child crashes since start

- add a void or apr_array_header_t pointer to ap_logconf, so that we may
add filtering of error log messages (there was some interest for this in a
recent thread on -dev).

I don't think any of these features should delay 2.4.0, but I think it
would be nice to have them before 2.6/3.0.