httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] [VOTE] Formal deprecation of 2.0.x branch
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:36:20 GMT
On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Noel Butler <noel.butler@ausics.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-12 at 07:00 -0600, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
> On 11/11/2011 3:12 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
>>
>> I don't see why we would continue to support 2.0.x for longer than
>> Redhat's already long support cycles.
>
> I don't see why we would tie this to RedHat's schedule or any other
> vendor, including my own.
>

> +1
> Apache (like most daemons), move forward, it's tuff luck if certain distros
> (which RedHat is not the only popular one), that insists on continuing to
> live in the dark ages.

Businesses are generally happy to pay to keep certain environments in
the (mostly) dark ages.  Whether for proprietary software or
vendor-supported open source, there's a lot of value in using a stable
stack which is changed only for critical fixes, in order to avoid
dealing with behavior changes, the inevitable regressions that come
from wide open releases/branches, etc..  Businesses want to put most
of their efforts into new projects (which will use current stacks) and
minimize excitement (and resulting efforts) on old projects that
aren't yet slated for replacement or at least bringing up to
&currentYear.

When we put a branch out to pasture the obvious positive is the strong
message to those with leeway to invest in an upgrade and retest
("recertification") their applications but a drawback is the
disappearance of a place to share efforts among those who still must
maintain the branch, whether for their [employer's] own projects or
for their customers.