httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1207721 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x: ./ build/rpm/httpd.spec.in
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:26:11 GMT
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2011, at 02:37, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>> FWIW
>>
>> * a normal build defaults to event
>> * a multi-MPM build of 2.4 "should" build the MPMs as DSOs
>
> +1.
>
> This is what I'm trying to nail down - to get the packaging to work against the ideal
installation of httpd.

> What I am also keen to do is identify modules that bind to external libraries, and spin
them out into dedicated RPMs like we always did with mod_ssl, the idea being that an installation
of the basic server shouldn't bring in any onerous dependencies on a system.

cool/thanks!  (butting out now)

>> Is the RPM design supposed to be aligned with anything else outside of
>> httpd 2.4?  Is there some external tooling that expects MPMs to be
>> built as with 2.2?  Also, I presume that the build flavor shouldn't
>> change within 2.4.x?
>
> Originally we adopted the Redhat RPM spec file to make it easy for people to drop the
ASF provided RPM onto a system and have it work reasonably closely to the original system,
but our packaging has moved ahead of Redhat's at this point (to my knowledge, anyway).

> I hope that other vendors will pick up our packaging as the "canonical" way, and improve
the way httpd is deployed out there.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...