httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <ames.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: timeout queues in event mpm
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 15:47:59 GMT
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Paul Querna <paul@querna.org> wrote:

> 4) Have the single Event thread de-queue operations from all the worker
> threads.

Since the operations include Add and Remove, are you saying we would have
to have to wait for a context switch to the listener thread before
apr_pollset_add() and apr_pollset_remove() or their replacements complete?
The _add()s execute immediately on the worker threads now; I believe the
_remove()s do too... How would you avoid adding latency to the Add
operations?  It probably doesn't matter so much for Remove because we are
done with the connection.

> This would remove the 4 or 5 separate timeout queues we have
> developed, and their associated mutex, and basically move all of the
> apr_pollset operations to the single main thread.

The 4 or 5 separate queues give us a simple and cheap way to know when the
timeouts have expired.  If we remove them, how do we maintain time order or
otherwise do the job as cheaply as we are now?

Greg