httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Error codes
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:13:31 GMT
On 30 Nov 2011, at 9:21 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> I'm not suggesting changing the alpha prefix.  Just block out
> ranges so that any listing of the codes is grouped by module that
> emits them.

From my experience, any attempt at grouping some kind of numbering like this normally results
a few years later in an attempt to undo the grouping to solve problems caused by the ranges
being too small, or running out of numbers of a sensible size.

Ideally it should be as simple as possible, "run a script and a number will be chosen for
you" is a lot more convenient, and if a script could warn of duplicated numbers for fixing
(think the result of cut-and-paste by someone unfamiliar with the script) that would be ideal
too.

Regards,
Graham