httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Do we want to remove/deprecate mod_request?
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:08:57 GMT
On 22 Nov 2011, at 11:21 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:

> from a cursory glance at mod_request and apreq, it seems that
> mod_request offers a subset of the functionality of apreq. Graham, is
> that correct?
>
> If we aim for inclusion of apreq some time in 2.4.x, it may be a good
> idea to not add another API for the same thing. Maybe we could
> document that mod_request is already deprecated?
>
> Removing it now would be a shame because mod_auth_form depends on it.

I think the addition of apreq is a lot more work than people realise.
There is a lot of duplicated code across the server, and I think a
target for v2.6 should be to consolidate and remove the duplicated
code, and depend on apreq properly. This will take a while to do, and
will probably involve changes to the apreq API along the way.

Warning users that mod_request will be consolidated with apreq in
future is a good idea.

Regards,
Graham