httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: error codes
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:59:32 GMT
On 11/27/2011 8:34 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> At Apachecon several of us were discussing how error messages could be made more helpful
without making them paragraphs. Two suggestions were made - adding a URL to the message or
adding a number/code to each error that would then be looked up for more information.

> Any thoughts on 1) the wisdom of this and 2) the method of assigning codes?

Keep these numeric and it will assist us in later internationalizing error
log messages.  I was initially thinking in terms of using hashed strings
into mapping indexes, but such numeric codes would be valuable.

Ideally we could assign these numbers into the appropriate apr_errno range.

 From the docs...
/**
  * APR_OS_START_USERERR are reserved for applications that use APR that
  *     layer their own error codes along with APR's.  Note that the
  *     error immediately following this one is set ten times farther
  *     away than usual, so that users of apr have a lot of room in
  *     which to declare custom error codes.
  *
  * In general applications should try and create unique error codes. To try
  * and assist in finding suitable ranges of numbers to use, the following
  * ranges are known to be used by the listed applications. If your
  * application defines error codes please advise the range of numbers it
  * uses to dev@apr.apache.org for inclusion in this list.
  *
  * Ranges shown are in relation to APR_OS_START_USERERR
  *
  * Subversion - Defined ranges, of less than 100, at intervals of 5000
  *              starting at an offset of 5000, e.g.
  *               +5000 to 5100,  +10000 to 10100
  */

APR_OS_START_USERERR starts at 70000 through 5699999.  As the SVN hints
suggest, we would probably want to block out 70000-799999 for core errs,
then 80000- in small blocks for individual modules.