httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject Re: setting TZ env var
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:06:56 GMT
On 15/11/2011 18:06, Paul Querna wrote:
> but is there any objections to
> the concept of setting the timezone on process startup?
>
> This single change gives about a 2% performance boost in my testing.
>
> To merge to trunk I'd like to have it detect your active timezone,
> instead of forcing UTC+0, but if you changed timezones on your
> machine, you will need to restart httpd.
>
> Thoughts?
Well, the only 2 use-cases I can see for changing TZs at runtime are:
1) Flight/Travel/Navigation systems, which probably already use UTC for
this reason, and
2) Mobile Apps (and maybe, maybe PC apps running on laptops).  So how
many mobile apps do we think there are based on httpd and how critical
is the timezone (presumably changing at airports, like we just did)?

  Issac