httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Fwd: [users@httpd] 2.3.15-beta: module proxy_balancer requires the not automatically loaded module slotmem_shm
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 23:27:01 GMT
> On 11/9/2011 3:53 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 9 Nov 2011, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>>> This one in from the users@ list. It sounds vaguely familiar
>>> to the issue previously mentioned about win32 defaults and some
>>> strange dependency failure between proxy_balancer and slotmem
>>> providers.
>>>
>>> Only, this is on the bleeding edge beta posted today, and hits
>>> Unix (particularly with our new cleaned-up default for #LoadModule).
>>
>> I talked with Rainer about this and we came to the conclusion, that we
>> simply should keep
>> non-default modules commented out, even if they have been explicitly
>> enabled with
>> --enable-foo. This has also the advantage that it is more likely that
>> the user will only
>> enable what he currently needs, even if he has built some additional
>> modules he may need
>> later.
>
> So, absolutely no mechanism to populate the default config with the
> info, status modules, etc? I don't have an opinion yet.

If you build them, the LoadModule line is there, but might be commented
out. Currently the suggestion is to always let mod_status active /if
build) but comment out mod_info.

> Of course I agree with simplified .conf snippets, smaller default
> server footprint, KISS directive complexity etc.
>
>> Does anyone disagree?
>
> Provide a flag to ignore the new logic completely (enabling all built
> modules for testers, devs etc). It's a dogfood issue, I expect that
> mod_proxy_balancer / slotmem won't be the only non-functioning junk
> that accumulates in httpd once most devs never load 80% of the modules.
>
> In fact, --enable-maintainer-mode should force-toggle this option.

It is there: --enable-load-all-modules will add all LoadModule lines for
the modules build without commenting any of them out.

Regards,

Rainer