httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Fwd: [users@httpd] 2.3.15-beta: module proxy_balancer requires the not automatically loaded module slotmem_shm
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:48:40 GMT
On 11/9/2011 3:53 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 9 Nov 2011, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> This one in from the users@ list. It sounds vaguely familiar
>> to the issue previously mentioned about win32 defaults and some
>> strange dependency failure between proxy_balancer and slotmem
>> providers.
>>
>> Only, this is on the bleeding edge beta posted today, and hits
>> Unix (particularly with our new cleaned-up default for #LoadModule).
>
> I talked with Rainer about this and we came to the conclusion, that we simply should
keep
> non-default modules commented out, even if they have been explicitly enabled with
> --enable-foo. This has also the advantage that it is more likely that the user will only
> enable what he currently needs, even if he has built some additional modules he may need
> later.

So, absolutely no mechanism to populate the default config with the
info, status modules, etc?  I don't have an opinion yet.

Of course I agree with simplified .conf snippets, smaller default
server footprint, KISS directive complexity etc.

> Does anyone disagree?

Provide a flag to ignore the new logic completely (enabling all built
modules for testers, devs etc).  It's a dogfood issue, I expect that
mod_proxy_balancer / slotmem won't be the only non-functioning junk
that accumulates in httpd once most devs never load 80% of the modules.

In fact, --enable-maintainer-mode should force-toggle this option.