httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1207721 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x: ./ build/rpm/httpd.spec.in
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 00:52:07 GMT
On 29 Nov 2011, at 02:37, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> FWIW
>
> * a normal build defaults to event
> * a multi-MPM build of 2.4 "should" build the MPMs as DSOs

+1.

This is what I'm trying to nail down - to get the packaging to work against the ideal installation
of httpd.

What I am also keen to do is identify modules that bind to external libraries, and spin them
out into dedicated RPMs like we always did with mod_ssl, the idea being that an installation
of the basic server shouldn't bring in any onerous dependencies on a system.

> Is the RPM design supposed to be aligned with anything else outside of
> httpd 2.4?  Is there some external tooling that expects MPMs to be
> built as with 2.2?  Also, I presume that the build flavor shouldn't
> change within 2.4.x?

Originally we adopted the Redhat RPM spec file to make it easy for people to drop the ASF
provided RPM onto a system and have it work reasonably closely to the original system, but
our packaging has moved ahead of Redhat's at this point (to my knowledge, anyway).

I hope that other vendors will pick up our packaging as the "canonical" way, and improve the
way httpd is deployed out there.

Regards,
Graham