httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Effective IP address / real IP address
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:08:15 GMT
On 18 Nov 2011, at 4:23 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> The lines I was thinking along was that effective_ip was in addition
> to the remote_ip, rather than instead of. The log format wouldn't
> change, there would be a new value that would represent the
> effective IP, in addition to the existing value that represented the
> real IP.
>
> Existing modules can continue using conn_rec->remote_ip and it will
> still work the same as before.

Far easier to express this as a patch:

- There is an explicit idea of a "real" ip address (belonging to the
load balancer) and an "effective" IP address (upstream IP address) at
the same time, no overloading of one for the other or mixing them up.
- By default, the effective IP is made equal to the real IP, until the
admin adds a module to change this.
- Adds a hook called ap_effective_ip();
- Addition of an EFFECTIVE_ADDR environment variable in addition to
REMOTE_ADDR, which remains unchanged;
- Addition of appropriate logging variables, leaving the current ones
unchanged;
- Addition of "require effective-ip" in addition to the existing
unchanged "require ip".
- Needs testing and documentation, but you get the idea.

Regards,
Graham