httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Fine grained error logging overrides [Was: Change loglevel of "File does not exist" messages]
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2011 15:19:58 GMT
On Thu, 6 Oct 2011, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> I've been giving this a bunch of thought, not to 'tune' the messages,
> but simply localize them.  The tuning of messages would be a snap.

> Such a string pointer->replacement lookup could be extended to add various
> flags such as desired log level.
>
> I'll be looking at the cpp to work out extraction of the strings of all
> ap_log calls in our core and modules.
>
> Other thoughts?

It is realistic to have localized error message? Most of the docs
translations are not up to date and I am not sure if there would be enough
translators to make it worth the effort.

Also, do we need to re-invent this particular wheel? I am sure there are
many localization frameworks available. I think significant work would
need to go into infrastructure that looks for out of date translations and
makes work easy for the translators.