httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FileETag default
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 06:25:57 GMT

On 10/11/2011 12:04 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2011, at 5:11 PM, Igor Galić wrote:
>
>> So I went ahead and tried to hack it, when I stumbled over this:

>>    Do not change the default for directories or locations that have
>> WebDAV
>>    enabled and use <module>mod_dav_fs</module> as a storage provider.
>>    <module>mod_dav_fs</module> uses
>> <code>INode&nbsp;MTime&nbsp;Size</code>
>>    as a fixed format for <code>ETag</code> comparisons on conditional
>> requests.
>>    These conditional requests will break if the <code>ETag</code>
>> format is
>>    changed via <directive>FileETag</directive>.
>>    </note>
>>
>> Well, duh.
>
> That smells like a bug to me.
>
> If webdav has a hard requirement on a "INode MTime Size" style ETag,
> then it should generate that ETag itself honouring it's own
> requirements. Telling the admin "I break when you try and fix ETags in
> your environment" isn't the way to approach webdav I think.

Please note that this is only about the filesystem provider for webdav not about
webdav itself. Other dav backend providers behave better. I think using
the current filesystem provider in a farm doesn't make sense anyway. So this
might be the reason why it is hardcoded. IMHO it should use the setting
from FileETag.

Regards

Rüdiger