httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Make loglevel of "File does not exist" configurable
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 00:38:07 GMT
On 10/4/2011 1:00 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:

> I think this one has been controversial in the past, therefore I thought I'd ask for
> comments before making this change:

I believe you are right, but I don't see a reason for the extra directive...

> The "File does not exist" log messages are logged at level error, while not providing
> additional information over the 404 access log line (at least in many setups). There
have
> been requests to lower the loglevel for these messages (PR 35768), which have been denied
> in the past because of compatibility and "it's an error". The per-module loglevels help
> not much, because most of the "File does not exist" messages come from core, and one
> usually does not want to set LogLevel core:crit.

As you say, it *is* logged (404) and is *not* an administrator's error (either the
web content has invalid links, someone ELSE'S web content has invalid links, or
the user is simply trying arbitrary resource names.

Ergo, this is not a [warn].  Never was.  Because we are talking about *user input*
which has no negative connotations except to the user.

Proposed, we drop this to [info] or [debug] and be done with it already.

> I therefore intend to add a LogLevelFileNotFound config directive that allows to make
it
> configurable and a "int ap_loglevel_file_not_found(request_rec *)" API that allows modules
> to query the setting. I think per-virtual server would be enough for the setting, but
with
> this API that could be changed to per-dir later on.

Sounds like a bikeshed.  I suggest we simply tear it down and replace this with
greenspace, nothing to be confused by, nothing to fill up loglevel warn logs.