httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: www.apache.org upgraded to 2.3.15-dev-r116760
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 23:58:28 GMT
On Thursday 20 October 2011, Daniel Shahaf wrote:

> I gathered some stats on Mon/Tue when mail-archives.a.o traffic was
> routed entirely to aurora.a.o (our EU mirror).  This morning I
> installed current HEAD mod_mbox on eos, after flipping the DNS
> back yesterday, and graceful'd the server.
>
> Right now I see httpd processes with around 3GB memory in top,
> whereas in three different 'while sleep 5 && $i++ < 5000' samples
> taken prior to flipping the DNS I see exactly one process having
> exceeded 1600MB memory (to 1613MB).

mod_mbox seems to use significant memory (i.e. a few MBs) for doing
threading on large mboxes. Also, it reads the a mail it displays into
memory in one chunk. Both could lead to the maximum memory used per
request increasing compared to mod_mbox not being used. And because of
the allocator behaviour I have described in a previous mail, this
could lead to the process size increasing. I would be really
interested how the memory usage changes if you set MaxMemFree.