httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: FileETag default
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 22:04:31 GMT
On 10 Oct 2011, at 5:11 PM, Igor Galić wrote:

> So I went ahead and tried to hack it, when I stumbled over this:
>    Do not change the default for directories or locations that have
> WebDAV
>    enabled and use <module>mod_dav_fs</module> as a storage provider.
>    <module>mod_dav_fs</module> uses
> <code>INode&nbsp;MTime&nbsp;Size</code>
>    as a fixed format for <code>ETag</code> comparisons on
> conditional requests.
>    These conditional requests will break if the <code>ETag</code>
> format is
>    changed via <directive>FileETag</directive>.
>    </note>
> Well, duh.

That smells like a bug to me.

If webdav has a hard requirement on a "INode MTime Size" style ETag,
then it should generate that ETag itself honouring it's own
requirements. Telling the admin "I break when you try and fix ETags in
your environment" isn't the way to approach webdav I think.

View raw message