httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ruediger.pl...@vodafone.com>
Subject RE: Child process coring
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:53:07 GMT
Basicly this behaviour is a design decision. If we run out of memory, then: SEGFAULT, when
such a NULL pointer is used.

Regards

Rüdiger

________________________________

	From: narayana.nayak@thomsonreuters.com [mailto:narayana.nayak@thomsonreuters.com]
	Sent: Freitag, 30. September 2011 12:25
	To: dev@httpd.apache.org
	Subject: Child process coring

	Hello,

	We have been experiencing child process core occasionally when system memory runs low on
SCO UNIX system. Debugging the core with gdb indicates that the core is generated in the following
function:

	APR_DECLARE(void) apr_pool_tag(apr_pool_t *pool, const char *tag)

	{

	    pool->tag = tag;

	}

	When the memory is low, passed pool parameter becomes null and causing this issue. I am thinking
of adding some checks before the assignment, however does it guarantee it will not core further
down in the execution path? There are multiple places where apr_pool_create is being called
which is returning NULL pool structure. In proxy_util.c apr_pool_tag is called at many places
without checking the return value of apr_pool_create function.

	This issue is seen in apache 2.2.11. Is this fixed in any higher version?

	I appreciate your quick response.

	Thanks,

	N.Nayak