httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1163833 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/http/byterange_filter.c
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 18:44:56 GMT
On Sep 1, 2011, at 1:11 AM, Tim Bannister wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> On Aug 31, 2011, at 6:10 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>>> The presumption here is that the client requests bytes=0- to begin the transmission,
and provided it sees a 206, restarting somewhere in the stream results in aborting the connection
and streaming bytes=n- from the restart point.  Further testing should determine if this was
the broken assumption.
>> Do we send the Accept-Ranges header field?
> Apache httpd 2.2.9 is sending this header in the Debian bug report at

Then the client is broken and they also break intermediary
caches (most of which don't cache 206 responses) by performing
this stunt.  We could add a version-specific browsermatch to do
the 206, but I'd prefer to just tell the client developers to
fix their code.

View raw message