httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1163833 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/http/byterange_filter.c
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 18:44:56 GMT
On Sep 1, 2011, at 1:11 AM, Tim Bannister wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> On Aug 31, 2011, at 6:10 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>>> The presumption here is that the client requests bytes=0- to begin the transmission,
and provided it sees a 206, restarting somewhere in the stream results in aborting the connection
and streaming bytes=n- from the restart point.  Further testing should determine if this was
the broken assumption.
>> Do we send the Accept-Ranges header field?
>>  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#page-105
>
> Apache httpd 2.2.9 is sending this header in the Debian bug report at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=639825

Then the client is broken and they also break intermediary
caches (most of which don't cache 206 responses) by performing
this stunt.  We could add a version-specific browsermatch to do
the 206, but I'd prefer to just tell the client developers to
fix their code.

....Roy