httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: httpd 2.0.65 - when?
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:12:35 GMT
On 9/26/2011 10:46 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 26.09.2011 17:35, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> All looks good… testing passes w/ no regressions so I'll
>> likely tag and roll tomorrow AM.
>
> Is there consensus how to handle the range "0-" returns 200 problem? It
> looks like the discussion for 2.2 is still open, but I haven't checked
> whether that influences the 2.0 patch.

Agreed, if people decide our handling of range "0-" is not desirable, this
would seem to be a showstopper on all three branches.  Personally, I find
the current behavior acceptable by the spec and per the underlying errata
Roy has suggested.

Clients should not be able to shift trivial processing (which the client
is perfectly capable of performing) to the server in ways that increase
network traffic or server load.  HTTP/1.1 conversations must be designed
to efficiently utilize network bandwidth, and these particular clients
did not do that.  I'm on the fence whether we should restore such abuse.