httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Tautschnig ...@debian.org>
Subject Known/fixed concurrency issues related to memory consistency?
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:10:55 GMT
Dear Apache Devs,

We are currently looking into automatic analysis techniques to discover bugs in
concurrent software that are caused by the memory consistency models implemented
in today's multiprocessors. (Intentionally) racy program parts may thus exhibit
unexpected behaviour, caused by, e.g., delayed writes to memory. Such errors
tend to be hard to reproduce and their root causes are often very hard to
diagnose.

We thus think that automated analysis tools could be very valuable, yet we
need to test drive our tools to understand whether they are able to find these
errors on real code. As such we are asking developers of highly concurrent
software for input. Our question is thus: is anyone of you aware of current or
fixed concurrency-related bugs in Apache's httpd that might have been caused by
cache effects?

Thank you very much in advance,
Michael