httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Fixing Ranges
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:27:19 GMT

On 25 Aug 2011, at 17:45, Greg Ames wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> Now that the memory utilz is being fixed, we need to determine
> what sort of usage we want to allow… I'm guessing that people
> are ok with http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/311
> as the guiding spec?
>
> I'm no longer convinced that we *need* to merge/optimize the Range header.  Stefan's
fix to the brigade plumbing has converted O(N^2) memory + CPU use into something scalable.

Same feeling here. BUT that is based on the FreeBSD platform I care about. And we have noticed
earlier that Ubuntu (which its default commit pattern in the vm) behaves very differently.

So is it fair to assume this reasoning holds across the board -- or should we get some very
explicit +1's on this appraoch from key linux, windows and what not users ?

Dw