httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Fixing Ranges
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 19:12:20 GMT

On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2011, at 17:45, Greg Ames wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> Now that the memory utilz is being fixed, we need to determine
>> what sort of usage we want to allow… I'm guessing that people
>> are ok with http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/311
>> as the guiding spec?
>>
>> I'm no longer convinced that we *need* to merge/optimize the Range header.  Stefan's
fix to the brigade plumbing has converted O(N^2) memory + CPU use into something scalable.

> Same feeling here. BUT that is based on the FreeBSD platform I care about. And we have
noticed earlier that Ubuntu (which its default commit pattern in the vm) behaves very differently.

> So is it fair to assume this reasoning holds across the board -- or should we get some
very explicit +1's on this appraoch from key linux, windows and what not users ?

I just need to create and connect some runtime config directives
for the Range stuff and I think we should be mostly complete ;)