httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject non-splittable buckets (was: Regression with range fix)
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:08:51 GMT
On Wednesday 31 August 2011, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >> Looking at the patch in 2.2.x; there is a lot of effort expended
> >> deadling with apr_bucket_split() returning ENOTIMPL - that looks
> >> unnecessary; the filter will only handle brigades containing
> >> buckets with known length, and all such buckets "must" be
> >> _split-able.
> >
> > So you think we can rip out the whole if (rv == APR_ENOTIMPL)
> > blocks?
>
> Belt and suspenders?

If we rip it out, we should replace it with ap_assert()s. And maybe
only do it in 2.3?

A different idea I had: If apr_bucket_split() returns ENOTIMPL, we
could call apr_brigade_partition on the copied brigade.
apr_brigade_partition() would then do all the complex handling of
apr_bucket_read(), etc. It is only slightly less efficient because it
has to traverse the brigade again. But the memory usage would still
stay low because the original brigade would remain untouched. And we
would get rid of much of the complexity in copy_brigade_range().