httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: DoS with mod_deflate & range requests
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 22:28:03 GMT
On Tuesday 23 August 2011, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 8/23/2011 4:00 PM, Greg Ames wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> >     I suggest we should be parsing and reassembling the list
> >     before we start the bucket logic.
> >
> >     I propose we satisfy range requests in the only sensible
> >     manner, returning the ranges in sequence,
> >
> > yeah, overlapping ranges should be merged up front. That ought to
> > completely fix the issue.
>
> So the only remaining question; are we free to reorder them into
> sequence?

Good point. I haven't seen anything in the RFC about that. I guess
that there are at least some clients that will be broken by that.

Nevertheless, I have done a first try at a patch. The necessary
modification to only merge and not reorder should be small. I have
done only limited testing, so there are probably some bugs. There are
no tests with multiple ranges in the test-framework, yet.

> Even in the most pedantic case, I believe that the total array
> shouldn't ever exceed 1024, because in those cases a large number
> of the acceptable expected ranges should be in the nnn-nnn,
> format, or 8 characters long, out of our MAX_LINE_LENGTH of some
> 8190.  If we argue that asking for single bytes is simply wrong,
> we should probably allocate some 16 ranges and grow the list by a
> power of four, resulting in a max of some 4 allocs and maximum
> memory consumption of less than 64k per request.

Just counting the commas in the header line seems acceptable to me. In
any case, single byte ranges are explicitly mentioned in the RFC as
example, so we probably should not disallow those.