httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Förtsch <>
Subject Re: Problem in mod_deflate
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:05:57 GMT
Hi Stefan,

thanks for applying.

On Saturday, 30 July 2011 17:41:39 Torsten Förtsch wrote:
> The last "if" statement should read as follows to avoid the loop:
>             if (APR_BUCKET_IS_METADATA(e)) {
>                 e = APR_BUCKET_NEXT(e);
>                 continue;
>             }

I don't know how common this situation is. It came up in the modperl test
suite (t/filter/both_str_req_mix.t). This test contructs a filter chain

  modperl filter
  another modperl filter

The INCLUDES filter was passed a brigade containing a data bucket with
single SSI command like "<!--#include virtual=... -->" and a flush
bucket. mod_include then tries to find the "<!--#" sequence and splits
the bucket before this string. Thus, it gets a bucket with an empty
string. I am not sure if this bucket was delivered in a separate brigade
to the DEFLATE filter and the flush bucket in the next one or if it was
accompanied by the flush bucket.

Although I can think of usage cases where it is common to send a flush
bucket in the first place just to get the headers out I can't think of a
way to make this happen with core httpd modules.

So, I don't know if it qualifies for a showstopper for 2.3.14 beta.

BTW, I filed another simple bug which was also
triggered by the modperl test suite. What are the chances for it to get

The rest of the failures of the modperl test suite are then bound to API
changes in logging and aaa. I hope not to find any more core bugs there.

Torsten Förtsch

Need professional modperl support? Hire me! (

Like fantasy?

View raw message