httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: load order dependency between mod_ldap and mod_authnz_ldap
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 15:58:37 GMT
[answering this backwards]

On 08 Jul 2011, at 4:10 AM, Nick Kew wrote:

>> I am therefore vetoing this move of apr_ldap from APR to httpd.
>
> Hang on!  How long ago did this move happen, and when did you
> first raise concerns?

The move happened on the 31st of May, and my concerns were first
raised that same day:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-cvs/201105.mbox/%3C20110531171012.DFC8123888E4@eris.apache.org%3E

The announcement that the move was to take place was declared on the
dev@apr mailing list:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40apr.apache.org/msg24081.html

In reply I asked "Can you point out for me the thread on the dev@httpd
list when this was decided? Why are we discussing changes to httpd on
the dev@apr list?". This particular question was ignored.

Further on in the thread I made the following statement:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40apr.apache.org/msg24086.html

"Leaving end users to discover that whole APIs have mysteriously
disappeared without warning or explanation, without those APIs having
been marked as deprecated, is grounds for a veto. So is the idea that
another project will tolerate a code dump from one project to another,
with the corresponding disruption to vendors that will result. In
addition, APR has been a standalone library, depended on by many
projects external to the ASF for many years, APR is not part of httpd,
and code isn't interchangeable between them."

This statement was not challenged.

I eventually formally vetoed the move on 26 June as I warned I would
do after the disastrous attempt to release v2.3.13 of httpd:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40httpd.apache.org/msg51301.html

This veto has to date been ignored, and the grounds for the veto as
stated remain unchallenged by wrowe.

Regards,
Graham