httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: load order dependency between mod_ldap and mod_authnz_ldap
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 09:43:33 GMT
On 04 Jul 2011, at 11:11 AM, Joe Orton wrote:

>> mod_ldap - An LDAP shared memory cache
>> mod_authnz_ldap - A user of the LDAP shared memory cache
>>
>> The LDAP API exposes way more functionality than mod_ldap exposes,
>> so while you may have fixed the problem for the special case that is
>> mod_authnz_ldap, you won't have fixed the problem for any other
>> module that makes LDAP calls directly.
>
> I don't see how this can be the basis of a veto.  You are stating that
> there exists a problem which this change does not fix; but that
> problem
> existed in the status quo ante, and it *was not the problem this
> change
> was intended to fix*.

I have already stated the basis for the veto: every single apparent
flaw in the apr_ldap code that caused wrowe to remove it from APR is
still present in the code that wrowe dumped into httpd. If it's not
good enough for APR, it is not good enough for httpd, period. APR-util
contains abstraction libraries for LDAP, SQL, dbm, XML, and crypto,
and now you want to move one abstraction library to an httpd module?
What were you thinking?

The httpd build is broken on virtually every platform, and is still
broken more than a month later. That alone is grounds for a veto.

The httpd project will not be held to ransom by a small group of
people who break the build in an effort to get others to fix it. This
code is vetoed, remove the code immediately.

Regards,
Graham