httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Ruggeri <DRugg...@primary.net>
Subject Question and request for comments on patch
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 23:44:50 GMT
All;
   I am attaching a patch that will allow for a comma separated list of
directives permissable for override. I am doing this because the
existing AllowOverride list of override-able directives sometimes has
too many things, sometimes allows more than is documented and it also
forces third party modules into one of the four predefined lists. With
this patch, an AllowOverrideList directive is added for the server admin
to specify individual directives for override. No other functionality
changes. FWIW, In my particular use case, I would like to grant a
content admin the ability to implement a server-side redirect in
.htacess, but would NOT like to grant them the ability to stand up a
proxy via "RewriteRule / http://someOtherLocation/ [P]" (which is what
would happen if FileInfo was set in AllowOverride). Note how Redirect
and friends are not documented as directives in core.html#allowoverride
for FileInfo... another patch, another day :) .

   With that in mind, I'd like to request comments on the idea and the
implementation supplied. I can see that there could be efficiency gained
without having to "tolower" each directive before comparison in
invoke_cmd, but I could not find a way outside of server/config.c
(server/core.c constructs the list I am using) to look up a directive's
normal case like ReDiREcT becomes "Redirect" before the call to
invoke_cmd as a result of ml = apr_hash_get(ap_config_hash, dir,
APR_HASH_KEY_STRING);.

   The second thing I'd like to bring up is that I see a lot of use in
backporting this, but I have made a change that I think would be
considered an API change (added param to ap_parse_htaccess in
include/http_config.h). Since I know this is not allowed, would it be
acceptable to rename the new ap_parse_htaccess function and implement a
wrapper as ap_parse_htaccess? I would foresee that such a wrapper would
issue a deprecation warning when called, but will call ap_parse_htaccess
with a NULL in place of the (new) override_list.

cheers!
Daniel Ruggeri