httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [discuss] mod_ldap
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:43:11 GMT
On 7/7/2011 12:14 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>  [ ]  Move ap_ldap API's to yet another mod_ldaps[1] module
>>      (binding both mod_ldap and mod_ldaps to ldap libs)
>
> IIUC, the only benefit (and a great one) to yet another ldap shared
> library (whether mod_foo or in apr) is if there is a complete
> abstraction, such that only one shared library binds to libldap* and
> that one shared library can be switched out to switch client libraries
> and libldap* symbol use doesn't leak between different functional
> areas.
>
> Is there some other possibility?

As things stand, if mod_ldap provides all of the fundamental interop,
it would be the only module that needs to be swapped out, which is why
I'm partial to option #.  It looks like the only function invoked by
mod_authnz_ldap in ldap libs themselves is ldap_add().  If that were
abstracted, mod_authnz_ldap would have no bindings to the ldap impl.

I don't care for option #3 unless mod_ldap entirely consumes the new
module and does not, itself, need to be bound to the ldap provider.
Another approach to #3 is to rename it to correspond to Graham's
claim of its scope, and to call the ap_ldap functionality as mod_ldap.