httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [vote] mod_ldap
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:20:04 GMT
On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 03:34:10PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Regardless of anyone else's opinion, the addition or deletion of a
> new API to our product is a technical change that can be vetoed.
> Likewise, the API being an incomplete abstraction that isn't
> needed in httpd is a valid technical reason to veto it even if
> it had once been in apr-util.
>
> Other than the convoluted history of this particular argument,
> I don't see any reason for further frustration.  Revert the commit.

Yet again: if the objection is to extending the exported mod_ldap API,
that objection can be resolved without wholesale revert; most of the
stuff added does not need to be exposed in the API, it was just done for
consistency.

I do not understand using "incomplete abstraction" as motivation for
veto, because mod_ldap's API was already an incomplete abstraction.  If
this was OK before, it is not reason for veto now.

We are doomed to revisit this argument time and again if we avoid
actually discussing the technical issues.

Regards, Joe