httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Roith <johan...@jroith.de>
Subject Re: 3.0, the 2011 thread.
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:39:19 GMT
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 6/16/2011 4:18 AM, bswen wrote:
>>
>> I think the only major problem of httpd is its "one thread per connection" I/O model.
It's an inherently unscalable design. Httpd-3.0 will be meaningless if it keeps on this i/o
design.

> That is no longer its design; it is now "one thread per request".
> Long lived requests still pose a challenge.

What I really miss is an efficient way to push server events (through
websockets, long-polling, chunked encoding or
multipart/x-mixed-replace responses). In particular many usecases
probably be addressed if a (long-running) request can be hold/managed
by the server without running a thread just like connections are by
the event mpm and modules have an easy way to send/append a
message/chunk when they decide to do so.