httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: MPM-Event, renaming MaxClients, etc.
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:22:14 GMT
On Jun 20, 2011, at 2:48 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 6/20/2011 4:36 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:

>>> That kind of last-minute change is going to kill people trying to
>>> upgrade from 2.2 to 2.4 with a shared config.  We should make
>>> MaxRequestWorkers an alias for MaxClients in a released 2.2.x
>>
>> I think you missed that MaxClients still works in 2.4 (albeit with a
>> warning on startup). So I don't think it's such a big deal.
>
> Perhaps we should lower the severity from warning to info?  Not every
> admin needs constant reminders while they are running 2.2 and 2.4 from
> a single config.

My point wasn't the warning, actually, but rather the fact that a config
that uses MaxRequestWorkers (instead of MaxClients) will abort an instance
of httpd 2.2.x.  Hence, a person upgrading to 2.4.x will get tripped up
if they try to do so incrementally with shared config files across
many web servers, unless they happen to notice that this change is
merely cosmetic and they keep MaxClients instead.

For a trivial improvement like this, we should make it easier on admins
by backporting the alias to 2.2.x (even if we do not use it on 2.2.x).

....Roy