httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <markus.l...@dlr.de>
Subject AW: Catacomb webdav module as part of httpd
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 06:53:33 GMT
Thanks for that promising answer.

Yes I read the material from the incubator, and some time ago we started to write a proposal
for catacomb. We discussed that and come to the conclusion that our code has not the right
potential to be an own project. It would just make more sense to add it to the httpd project,
but we do not have a clue how to start that process.

And yes, there are maybe parts we had to adapt and much code style to change, but we could
do this in a separate branch until it fits into the httpd project.

Yes we discussed offering it to apache, and we agreed that it would be a great chance for
our project.

Please tell me if you need any more information about the code and/or functionality.

How could we proceed now?
Markus

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Nick Kew [mailto:nick@webthing.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 6. Juni 2011 11:45
An: dev@httpd.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Catacomb webdav module as part of httpd

On 6 Jun 2011, at 08:17, <markus.litz@dlr.de> <markus.litz@dlr.de> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> the catacomb project exists for quite some time. Catacomb is a WebDAV repository module
for use with the Apache WebDAV module, mod_dav.
> Mod_dav already comes with a module that acts like an interface between the httpd-server
and the local hard drive: mod_dav_fs. Catacomb (mod_dav_repos) is an alternative module that
could replace mod_dav_fs. So the catacomb project is wondering if catacomb could become a
httpd-subproject and the main module (mod_dav_repos) could co-exist with mod_dav_fs.

> Of course the project needs to pass through some kind of incubation process to adapt
code structure and style, and maybe some structural changes need to be made.

> Catacomb could be found at apache-extras: http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/catacomb/

> How could this process started? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the offer: looks interesting.  I did a little work along these lines
some years back, but you've clearly gone a lot further in building a
production-worthy product.

Have you read the materials at incubator.apache.org?

Actually contributing a single module doesn't necessarily call for the full
incubation process if the current httpd community are happy to adopt it.
Though at 98k compressed size for a tarball, your project may be rather
big for that!

I see you have a good start: the license is right and you have five people
listed as committers which (if they're active) suggests a decent level of
support.  I take it you've discussed this amongst yourselves and are all
agreed about offering it to Apache?

I'm unlikely to find time this week, but I'll try and take a look at your work,
perhaps at the weekend.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html