httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: Apache janitor ?
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 00:11:26 GMT

Christophe's mail reminds me a bit of Brian Fitzpatrick and
Ben Collins-Sussman's talk "Open Source Projects and Poisonous People"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F-3E8pyjFo

One of the many good suggestions they propose is to have a
"Patch Manager" - someone who makes sure that patches
submitted via Bugzilla or directly to the list don't get lost
in the noise and that people get some feedback, even if it's
just a one liner like "Thanks, we're looking into this",
"Nope, that's really not in our scope", etc...

I've watched this talk three or four times by now, and every time
motivates me to look into our bug tracker. The overwhelming number
of (currently) 1133 open issues, however soon dampens my enthusiasm.

http://s.apache.org/a2open
http://s.apache.org/a2patchavail (184 right now)

I've been thinking for some time now that we really need a
hackathlon or bug-squashing event to drastically reduce those.

Or at least clean out the invalid ones. The ones which have
already been (accidentally) fixed, etc..

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org