httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Which variants of "make" do we support?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 17:42:23 GMT
On Wednesday 01 June 2011, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 6/1/2011 3:25 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> > Now my question: Do we support non-GNU make for the UNIX build?
>
> Most.
>
> This code should build with solaris make, aix make, hpux make,
> virtually any standard make implementation including bsd.

I have verified this with solaris make, which works with 2.2.19. This
makes refactoring the makefiles a lot more difficult. ATM, I have no
idea how to do it without gmake's MAKECMDGOALS.

> I'm interested to know what bugs you noted on bsd make?

For example, bsd make needs ".include" instead of "include".
Configure.in defines the variable ap_make_include for this purpose,
but it isn't used in most Makefile.in files.

> make depend is a funny thing, it rarely is very cooperative on
> anything but gcc.
>
> Clearly some of your patch isn't gmake specific and could be
> applied already, to make the gnu delta more legible?

I fear there is not much in there that would work without major
adjustments for portability. I have committed one bit, but I don't
think I will work on this for now.