httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy & headers
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 11:11:54 GMT
On Mon, 02 May 2011 12:56:10 +0200
Nick Gearls <nickgearls@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, what about the proposition to indicate for every module (or
> directive when needed) the phase it runs, to be able to determine
> interactions? I guess this shouldn't be difficult when you know the
> module. This could maybe even be generated automatically from the code?

No.

In the first place, for many directives there's no simple answer.

Secondly, the last thing our documentation needs is more confusing
complexity.  "Too complex" is already the most common objection to
apache from users of corporate servers.

To think it through, take a look at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/rewrite/tech.html#InternalAPI
which does what you ask.  If all our documentation starts to
look like that, how many users will ever understand TFM?

Of course, if you want to prove me wrong, start writing!

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent.
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html