httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregg L. Smith" <...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: Re: Windows Laundry List
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 23:12:10 GMT
Jorge,

That's hard to measure considering how many people supply x64 builds of Apache on Win. I only
know of 3.

I can tell you Apache Haus' stats for 2.2.17
x64: 1864
x86: 1471

x64 overtook x86 the first x64 build that was offered. I'd love to see your kind of numbers
at AH.

Gregg

-----Original Message-----
From: Jorge Schrauwen <jorge.schrauwen@gmail.com>
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 18:10:33 +0200
Subject: Re: Windows Laundry List

I'm still all for this,
But do many people use a 64-bit variant of httpd it self? I've long
since switched to linux for both my server and my development
environment but still provide binaries I compile on my website. (If
I'm lazy I get about 2-3 mails per day asking for the newest release)

So here are some statistics from blackdot.be:
httpd/httpd-2.2.18-win64.rar 	101 (went up yesterday)
httpd/httpd-2.2.17-win64.rar 	16212
httpd/httpd-2.2.15-win64.rar 	15750
httpd/httpd-2.2.14-win64.rar 	10403
httpd/httpd-2.2.13-win64.rar 	3110
httpd/httpd-2.2.12-win64.zip 	801
httpd/httpd-2.2.11-win64.zip 	14347
httpd/httpd-2.2.10-win64.zip 	1521
httpd/httpd-2.2.9-win64.zip 	2666
httpd/httpd-2.2.8-win64.zip 	2181
httpd/httpd-2.2.4_x64.exe 	4859

I wonder about the overall usage, more people seem to be compiling
them themselves recently and some other websites probably offer them.

Do the argument from a few year back still hold for the ASF not
providing them themselves still hold true for 2.3/2.4?
IIRC it had to due with VC6 being used for 3rd party module
compatibility. With the release of 2.4 series around the corner maybe
now is a good time to discuss this again?

Kind regards

~Jorge

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Gregg L. Smith <gls@gknw.net> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This was originally asked for by Jorge of blackdot.be back in July of 2006.
> http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=115394468128469&w=2
>
> With the simple fact that every Windows computer I have seen being sold for some time
now being x64, I do not see any reason to hold back on this since there is no functional change.

> His patch looks like it would give out a redefinition warning, so here's my version.
I'm using WIN64 where he uses _WIN64, the reason is both are being used, the former is used
in numerous files throughout httpd & APR, the latter in mpm/winnt/child.c. My x64 conversion
script defines WIN64 and the compiler _WIN64 so for me both are covered. Feel free to use
whichever you prefer.

> It would be nice to see this in both trunk & 2.2. Patch is against trunk, and patches
2.2 with fuzz due to following lines being different.