httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ruediger.pl...@vodafone.com>
Subject RE: "RewriteRule ... /$1" considered harmful
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:34:58 GMT

I doubt that this would work with the recommended

<Directory />
deny from all
</Directory>

setting.

> While this works as documented and secure behaviour can be obtained by
> appending [PT] or [R], I think this behaviour makes it far too easy to
> shoot onself in the foot.
>
> My first idea for saner semantics would be:
>
> - Don't try to guess what the user meant. Instead, treat the
> substitution
> as URI unless some new option ([LOCALPATH]?) is given for the rule. In
> this case, look for file system paths only.
> - Add a new option for RewriteOptions to restore the old
> guessing behaviour.
>
> What do you think?

IMHO that would be a dramatic change in behaviour. mod_rewrite was always
a map to storage (or uri to file) provider and mapping to different URL's was only an additional
feature.
OTOH I admit that I mostly use mod_rewrite this way.

Regards

Rüdiger