httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Fwd: Client Initiated Renegotiation after 0.9.8l
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:38:18 GMT
On 4/14/2011 9:10 AM, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 04:41:01AM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
>> It seems like our directive is a serious misnomer, if it is required to
>> enable either legacy or new renegotiation.  Before 2.2.18, it seems
>> prudent to make this a tristate (legacy or modern, modern only, or none)
>> and support it again, even if the default is a safe 'none' value.
>
> I think you're mixing the two separate (and technically orthogonal)
> questions:
>
> a) whether or not to allow insecure renegotiation
> b) whether or not to allow client-initiated reneg

Ah, interesting.  I hadn't considered (a) in light of server-initiated
renegotiation only.  It would seem that 'SSLInsecureRenegotiation on'
might deserve a companion  SSLPeerRenegotiation on|insecure|off (default
value off) setting if we have any desire to restore client renegotiation
at all.  And of course, there's always SSLProxyRenegotation, where we
are playing the client (and may have new and legacy servers behind us)?
Wondering what we might want to do, there?