httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Theory on recent Phoronix benchmark?
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 20:52:58 GMT
On Tuesday 05 April 2011, Andrew Oliver wrote:
> That is just the thing.  Other things that should have been
> similarly affected in the benchmark were not.  Take a gander if
> you would at some of the rest of that article...

HTTPD uses lots of pointers when handling per-dir and per-module
configuration data. I agree with Bill that the 2x size increase in
pointers is likely a major performance factor. Maybe the other
workloads don't use so many pointers. They don't have a java benchmark
AFAICS, which should be similarily affected.

Or it is just bad luck that with 32bit, HTTPD's working set just fits
into some cache while with 64bit, it doesn't. It would be interesting
to see the same comparison with 2.3.11. There were some optimizations
which should reduce CPU cache usage.