httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregg L. Smith" <...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: Re: svn commit: r1086756 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: docs/manual/developer/new_api_2_4.xml include/ap_mmn.h include/http_config.h modules/lua/mod_lua.c server/config.c server/util.c
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2011 02:34:43 GMT
Hello,

To add to this, I can confirm this breaks at least mod_macro, which I use and am stuck either
reconfiguring (which defeats the purpose of this highly useful module) or am stuck at 2.3.12-dev
pre this revision. Not that this adds any weight to the discussion.

At least if this is depreciated but left in tact as is was, it relieves my stress and gives
module authors a warning as to what's coming. Module authors of course may or may not decide
to follow along, we'll just have to see.

As a sidebar note, module compatibility is the #1 reason I hear when I ask people why they
have not upgraded to 2.2 from a prior version in various help forums. If there were no need
for 3rd party modules it would be a different story, but alas it's not. I think there should
be some backwards compatibility till Apache 3, but that's just my opinion of course.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers,

Gregg

-----Original Message-----
From: Guenter Knauf <fuankg@apache.org>
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 04:02:08 +0200
Subject: Re: svn commit: r1086756 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: docs/manual/developer/new_api_2_4.xml
include/ap_mmn.h include/http_config.h modules/lua/mod_lua.c server/config.c server/util.c

Stefan,
Am 29.03.2011 23:29, schrieb sf@apache.org:
> Author: sf
> Date: Tue Mar 29 21:29:34 2011
> New Revision: 1086756

> Log:
> Change the ap_cfg_getline() and ap_cfg_getc() to return an error code.
>
> Also:
> - Make ap_cfg_getline() return APR_ENOSPC if a config line is too long.
> - Add ap_pcfg_strerror() function to convert ap_cfg_getline's return value
>    into a nice message.
> - Adjust definition of ap_configfile_t accordingly.
>
> Not bumping MMN because it has already been bumped today.
>
> Modified:
>      httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/developer/new_api_2_4.xml
>      httpd/httpd/trunk/include/ap_mmn.h
>      httpd/httpd/trunk/include/http_config.h
>      httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/lua/mod_lua.c
>      httpd/httpd/trunk/server/config.c
>      httpd/httpd/trunk/server/util.c
>   /* Read one character from a configfile_t */
> -AP_DECLARE(int) ap_cfg_getc(ap_configfile_t *cfp)
> +AP_DECLARE(apr_status_t) ap_cfg_getc(char *ch, ap_configfile_t *cfp)
I'm not yet convinced that this API change is a good idea ...
we have this API already since httpd 1.3 times:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/apidoc/apidoc_ap_cfg_getc.html
and a couple of modules may rely on it ...
I think we should only declare the original function as deprecated, and
add a new one, f.e.:
AP_DECLARE(apr_status_t) ap_cfg_getchar(char *ch, ap_configfile_t *cfp)

G??n.