httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Removing ap_old_write_filter
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2011 20:34:10 GMT
I propose to remove ap_old_write_filter from trunk.

I recently noticed that buffer_output(), which is apparently intended to
buffer data in a brigade to be passed down the output filter chain later
by ap_old_write_filter, calls the ap_fwrite() macro to do so, which
always flushes the data.  So no data has been getting buffered.  This
has been the case for at least 10 years and back to Apache 2.0.x, which
is as far back as I cared to check.

We could fix buffer_output() to save up the data in a brigade without
flushing it, as was apparently intended, but would that break any module
that has been (inadvertently) relying on buffer_output() to flush its
data?  Of the modules that use ap_rwrite and related APIs that end up
calling buffer_output(), very few ever call ap_rflush.

On the other hand, fixing the buffering might buy us some performance,
as long as we're willing to fix any modules that get broken.

Thoughts?

Dan