httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: blocking Upgrade
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:53:12 GMT
On Mar 30, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2011, at 10:49 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> On Mar 29, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have an internet draft spec for some context here? Is there a
>>> proposal for HTTP/2.0?
>>
>> websockets
>
> In theory, over and above natively supporting websockets, it may be useful to teach mod_proxy
how to reverse proxy the ws scheme to another websockets server. Would a module like mod_proxy_websockets
or mod_proxy_ws make sense?

No, websockets is not designed to work with intermediaries.
There is no standard behavior beyond opening the connection,
so connections through proxies should use CONNECT.

I am not planning to implement websockets -- I just want to
protect the rest of the server from kids playing with toys.

....Roy