httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: server_rec in APLOG_TRACEn messages
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:38:48 GMT
I was hoping that someone who knows something would respond, but what the hey...

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:
> server/log.c discards anything higher than WARNING if the server_rec is NULL.
>
> But, when adding new traceN messages deep down in modules,
> request/conn/server recs might not be handy.
>
> Is it safe to use extern server_rec* ap_server_conf in random modules
> for trace messages?

yes

> Or should server/log.c know the difference between "still in startup"
> and "stupid module couldn't find a server-rec to pass but really wants
> info in main server errorlog via stderr?
>
> (or, should server/log.c be willing to log anything < WARNING and >
> TRACE1 to stderr via s==NULL? as long as it matches the LogLevel

Something I wondered when fixing some server-rec=NULL issues recently
was whether we should have an especially ugly warning logged in
maintainer mode when APLOG_STARTUP isn't included in the level flags
while server-rec is NULL.

either-it-is-startup-or-you-pass-server_rec works for me.