httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: blocking Upgrade
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:41:35 GMT
On Mar 30, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2011, at 3:53 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> No, websockets is not designed to work with intermediaries.
>> There is no standard behavior beyond opening the connection,
>> so connections through proxies should use CONNECT.
>
> Does a websocket client have a way of knowing it should use CONNECT?

My guess is that it would if it were told to use a proxy for ws.

Keep in mind that when I say proxy, I do not mean to include "reverse proxy".
A reverse proxy of websockets is just an implementation of websockets or
a tunnel.  I consider both to be pretty dangerous and better done in
a special-purpose server rather than as a child of Apache httpd.

....Roy