httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: ap_read_config() from remote resource
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:27:16 GMT
On 28 Feb 2011, at 10:32 PM, Igor Galić wrote:

> I think we discussed such possibilities last year at the retreat
> but didn't really follow up on it, so lets assume it's a fresh new
> idea which I just thought of :)
>
> ap_read_config() passes the config file it gets more or less
> directly to ap_pcfg_openfile() which again pass it more or less
> directly to apr_file_open() -- now what if we wanted to place
> our configuration files on a remote (HTTP ;) resource. Of course
> it sounds silly to boot-strap an HTTP server from an HTTP server
> but JBoss for instance supports that -- in part at least: For the
> application's properties files.

I looked at this concept a number of years ago, and from the research
I did it's definitely possible.

Ultimately, we have a mechanism that produces lines, and each line is
fed into a parser that parses the config. Right now, that mechanism is
"open file, read it in line by line", but there is nothing stopping us
from making this pluggable.

The idea I had in mind was to teach the Include directive how to
support URLs, for example like this:

Include http://somewhere/something.conf

or something like this:

Include ldap://some-ldap-url

where the default is this:

Include file:///some-path

AKA

Include /some-path

All we would need to do to start would be to define a suitable hook to
consume the lines, and then refactor the existing file based code to
use the hook. At a later date, people can add implementations as and
when they see fit.

Regards,
Graham