httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: blocking Upgrade
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:21:03 GMT
On 30 Mar 2011, at 5:48 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> I think that Roy's point is simply that httpd would be nothing more
> than a socket-listener and tunnel. There is very little that it can
> bring to the table at that point, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to
> lump in websockets capabilities.

In theory, for somebody it might be a socket listener and a tunnel,
using the same HTTP endpoint as their existing HTTP server, with the
same port and the same digital certificate, perhaps additionally
secured by an authn or authz module.

While I don't doubt that for a gateway like this to be practical there
would be issues to overcome, such as ensuring long lived requests
cannot starve out other server requests, however I do see some value
in trying it. Disclaimer: ENOTIME right now, so no plans to do so for
a while.

Regards,
Graham