httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: GA
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 20:01:50 GMT

On Mar 17, 2011, at 4:40 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 3/17/2011 1:31 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>>> That sounds reasonable to me, but then I have my own little project
>>> I'd like to finish up in time for the next beta :)
>>>

>> My plan is to have another beta the end of March, another
>> in April and GA in May (at the latest)...
>
> Well, if we presume that people will invent and collaborate to refine
> some "cool stuff" at Wicklow, it isn't unreasonable to guess that such
> a tarball would still be beta and need several weeks of a "large group"
> of final testers and some bug fixes to be realistically be "the best
> available version" and more robust than 2.2.17 in June.  I will vote
> against declaring 'ga' any taraball which can't meet that self-described
> label that we've  assign to every general release for over a dozen years :)

My hopes are that if people are really wanting to invent and collaborate
on cool stuff, that they don't wait until a f2f event that the vast
majority of current httpd developers will not be attending and
will instead try to start stuff now-ish in hopes of getting a
GA out sooner rather than changing things so much that any
momentum achieved up to now is wasted by the addition of lots
of cool stuff that requires substantial vetting and thus causing
yet more delays on a release that has already been long enough
already thank you.

*grin*