httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: new ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse "feature" for 2.4??
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:45:57 GMT
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:08:13 -0400
Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:

> Assuming
>
> 	ProxyPass /foo http://www.example.com/foo
>
> should ProxyPass automatically create the corresponding
> ProxyPassReverse statement?

The thought had crossed my mind, not least with reference
to mod_proxy_html.

> It seems bogus to me that we still require such things...
>
> Of course, we can't get rid of it completely, to handle such
> cases as:
>
>     ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8009/jsp/
>     ProxyPassReverse / http://www.example.com/jsp/

Exactly, there are complexities.

> but shouldn't we automagically handle the "common" case??

It's a nice idea, that would be nicer still if it would also
handle the related cookie directives.  This kind-of feels like
a macro on top of the existing directives.

How about preserving the existing directives, but offering
something new and higher level?

<Gateway / ajp://localhost:8009/jsp/>
(or <Gateway / balancer://foo/>)

  # ProxyPass flags
  # any non-inferred ProxyPassReverse/etc directives
  # Other <Location> stuff such as authnz, filters, etc
</Gateway>

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent.
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html